- Hans Koster’s Urban Economics blog. (Free University Amsterdam)
- Matthew Kahn’s blog on environmental and urban economics. (UCLA)
- Richard’s Real Estate and Urban Economics Blog.
- Peter Gordon’s Blog.
- Nick Timiraos’ Developments, Wall Street Journal
- Arthur Charpentier’s Freakonometrics has good urban stats, such as this visualisation of where people live.
Urban & Real Estate Research Centers
- London School of Economics LSE Cities.
- UCLA Ziman Center for Real Estate
- Paul Milstein Center for Real Estate
- James A. Graaskamp Center for Real Estate
- Real Estate Department at Wharton Business School
- Guthrie Center for Real Estate Research at Kellogg
- NYU Stern’s Center for Real Estate Finance Research
- From the Census Bureau: TIGER/LINE Files in ESRI’s shapefile format.
- National Map Viewer for raster data: elevation and land cover.
- Open Street Map provides layers, very convenient background for GIS projects.
- NHGIS for GIS maps of administrative boundaries, matched with Census data.
- LIDAR data for England: the (most likely) only way to get building heights.
General Purpose GIS Packages:
- Leading open source software is QGIS.
- Some tips from Ujaval Gandhi‘s series of QGIS tutorials.
- GRASS has been around for longer but is hard to use — there is a GRASS plugin in QGIS.
- ArcGIS is the most used paid for GIS software.
- Mathematica has some appealing potential, but it’s not yet there to process GIS data.
- A good introduction to the sp GIS classes in R: Applied Spatial Data Analysis with R byRoger S. Bivand, Edzer Pebesma and V. Gómez-Rubio, UseR! Series, Springer, 2nd ed. 2013, Softcover.
- R spatial tips.
- spmap provides basic mapping functionalities, e.g. chloropleth maps.
- Texas A&M’s geocoder is extremely good, and very cheap (around $200 for 150,000 addresses). You can replicate the geocoder using the PostGIS Geocoder. Same output, for free (minus the opportunity cost of setting up a computer for this).
- Standard and Poors’ Case Shiller index.
- The federal government’s house price index: OFHEO at the FHFA.
- Zillow’s zestimates are available to researchers.
- Singapore Stats: Building, Real Estate, Construction Activity, and Housing
- The Urban Redevelopment Authority is Singapore’s land use authority. The Housing and Development Board (HDB) manages public housing, a substantial share of the housing supply in Singapore.
- A stunning infographic from the Straits Times on “Who Owns Orchard Road?”